ESL Communication Skills classes are designed for students at an intermediate or advanced level of proficiency. These courses meet two evenings a week (either Monday and Wednesday, or Tuesday and Thursday) for eight weeks. Classes meet 5:45-7:15 p.m. or 7:30-9:00 p.m. at Rice University.
The exact schedule of classes is determined by student enrollment. Usually both intermediate- and advanced-level speaking classes are offered. Advanced classes in Grammar, Pronunciation, Oral Presentation Skills, and Writing are offered in sessions when demand is sufficient. A minimum of five students is required to form a class. Students are assigned class days and times based on their proficiency levels and available space.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition for an eight-week session is $400 ( which includes a $30 non-refundable registration fee). Book costs are not included in the tuition fees. A discount of $30 per eight-week session is available for continuing students re-enrolling within a year, provided the application and registration fee are received by the discount deadline.
- Course fees will be refunded in full if the class is canceled or if a student cancels a registration before the application deadline (see the calendar).
- If cancellation is made after the application deadline but before 5:00 p.m. on the last business day before classes begin, a $30 processing fee will be deducted from the refund.
- Students withdrawing before the fourth class meeting will receive a refund of one-third of the course fee. There is no refund for any student withdrawing after the fourth class meeting.
- All refund requests must be submitted in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Refunds will be processed as credits to the accounts from which they were paid and may not appear as a credit until the following statement. Refunds for enrollments paid by check take up to four weeks to be processed and are mailed by the Rice University accounting office. There is a $30 charge for any check returned for insufficient funds.