Daytime English Communication Now
In part-time daytime classes, the English Communication Now program offers interactive intermediate-level communication skills classes. Using an integrated-skills approach, these small non-credit classes will help students develop both fluency and accuracy in English by improving their everyday English communication skills and strengthening their command of English for professional purposes.
These part-time classes are not available to students enrolled in the Intensive English program. This is not an I-20 granting program. Those planning to study on an F-1 visa should consult the Intensive English Program. For those interested in evening intermediate and advanced communication skills classes, consult the ESL Communication Skills program.
Persons applying for admission to the daytime English Communication Now classes must have graduated from secondary school.
- Classes meet 10 hours a week for seven weeks on the Rice campus
- Classes meet Monday through Friday from 8:30-10:20 a.m., 10:40 a.m.-12:30 p.m., or 1-2:50 p.m.
- The exact schedule of classes is determined by the director
- Students will receive an email with their class schedule no later than the last business day before class begins
Classroom instructors are experienced teachers with advanced degrees who employ the most recent advances in second language methodology. The curriculum incorporates current, culturally relevant topics and activities.
Apply to Daytime English Communication Now
English Communication Now Calendar
- Placement test*: August 24
- Classes: September 6-October 24
- Labor Day Holiday: September 4
- Staff development day (no classes): October 6
- Application deadline: September 29
- Placement test*: October 20
- Classes: October 30-December 19
- Thanksgiving holidays: November 22-24 *All applicants must take the placement test.
August 24-October 19
October 20-December 19
See full calendar