English Success in the Workplace: Online Certificate Program
English Success in the Workplace, an online certificate program, consists of three interactive courses:
- English Success in the Workplace, Level 3 (low-intermediate)
- English Success in the Workplace, Level 4 (intermediate)
- English Success in the Workplace, Level 5 (high-intermediate)
Using an integrated skills approach, these non-credit classes will help students develop fluency and accuracy in English by improving their command of English in the workplace and strengthening their communication skills. Students will learn through engaging instructional videos. These videos can be played and paused as many times as needed to ensure comprehension. Students also have the option of attending live, virtual mini-lessons and office hours each week to get help and interact with their teacher and classmates.
This part-time program is not available to students enrolled in the Intensive English Program. This is not an I-20 granting program. Those planning to study on an F-1 visa should consult the Intensive English Program.
Persons applying for admission to English Success in the Workplace must have graduated from secondary school.
- Classes meet only online
- By 5 p.m. (CST) on the date of the application deadline, students will receive an email with instructions on how to complete the placement test
- Students will receive an email with their course level and login information no later than the last business day before classes begin
- All new students must complete the one-week online orientation
- Students may complete lessons and activities for each unit at any time during the week scheduled for that unit
- Students should plan to spend approximately five hours each week to finish all course lessons and assignments
- Students successfully completing through Level 5 will receive a program certificate. Students who do not finish Level 5 will receive a course certificate for each course completed.
All students must have:
- basic computer skills
- a strong internet connection
- a working computer microphone
It is also recommended that students have a working computer webcam.
Instructors and Graders
Instructors are experienced language teachers with advanced degrees who employ the most recent advances in second language methodology and educational technology. All course graders have specialized training in assessing and providing feedback to language learners.
- Application Deadline: March 18, 1 p.m. CST
- Online Placement Test: between March 10-16
- Payment Deadline: March 26
- Online Orientation (all new students): April 2-8
- Classes: April 9 - June 4
- Application Deadline: June 1, 1 p.m. CST
- Online Placement Test: between June 2-8
- Payment Deadline: June 18
- Online Orientation (all new students): June 25- July 1
- Classes: July 5 - August 29