ESL Communication Skills Program
The ESL Communication Skills Program offers classes for those who wish to improve their everyday English communication skills or enhance their command of English for professional purposes. These non-credit classes address spoken communication skills and are designed for those who do not wish to enroll in a full course of study. Classes are for students at an intermediate or advanced level of proficiency.
Students planning to study on an F-1 visa should visit the Intensive English Program. Persons applying for admission to the ESL Communication Skills Program must have graduated from secondary school.
Classes are small, with an average of 12 students per class. The exact schedule of classes is determined by student enrollment. Usually both intermediate- and advanced-level speaking classes are offered each session. Advanced classes in oral presentation skills, pronunciation and writing are offered in sessions when demand is sufficient. Students are assigned class days and times based on their proficiency levels and available space.
- Four sessions of evening classes are offered yearly. Winter, spring, summer and fall sessions are eight weeks long
- Classes meet on the Rice campus twice a week for a total of three hours (either Mondays and Wednesdays or Tuesdays and Thursdays, 5:45-7:15 p.m. or 7:30-9 p.m.)
- Students will receive an email with their class schedule no later than the last business day before class begins
Students new to the program must take the placement test. See the calendar for scheduled test dates.
Evening ESL Communication Skills Program instructors are experienced teachers with advanced degrees who employ the most recent advances in second language methodology. They frequently incorporate current, culturally relevant articles and multimedia materials to supplement regular assignments.
ESL Communication Skills Program Calendar
Fall Session: September 26-November 20, 2018
- Application/discount deadline: September 5, 6 p.m.
- Placement test: September 5, 6 p.m.
Winter Session: January 23-March 19, 2019
- Application/discount deadline: January 9, 6 p.m.
- Placement test: January 9, 6 p.m.