Intensive English Program
The Rice University Intensive English Program is open to non-native speakers of English who have a serious desire to improve their language skills. This challenging program is useful to working professionals and to students preparing for university study or professional programs. Students from more than 115 countries have attended the program. The course of study is based on an integrated-skills approach with listening, speaking, reading, writing and grammar components. Fluency and accuracy in both spoken and written English are emphasized.
In one year, students should be able to progress through the six-level core program. Classes average 12 students and allow participants a maximum amount of individual attention and an opportunity to develop conversational skills. Classes at any specific level will depend on sufficient enrollment.
- Six sessions of daytime classes are offered yearly; each session is seven weeks long with 20 hours of class per week
- Classes meet Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. or 1-5 p.m. on the Rice campus
- Students must be open to accepting a morning or afternoon schedule as assigned by the director.
Students new to the program must take the placement test. See the calendar for scheduled test dates.
Intensive English Program instructors are experienced teachers with advanced degrees who employ the most recent advances in second language methodology. They frequently incorporate current, culturally relevant articles and multimedia materials to supplement regular assignments.
Intensive English Program Calendar
March 1-April 26, 2017
April 27-June 22, 2017
- Placement test: April 27
- Orientation: April 28
- Classes: May 4 - June 22
- Memorial Day holiday: May 29
June 23-August 22, 2017
- Application and re-enrollment deadline: June 2
- Placement test: June 23
- Orientation: June 26
- Classes: July 5 - August 22
August 24-October 19, 2017
- Application and re-enrollment deadline: July 28
- Placement test: August 24
- Orientation: August 25
- Classes: August 31-October 19
- Labor Day holiday: September 4
- Staff development day (no classes): October 6