Intensive English Program
The Rice University Intensive English Program is open to non-native speakers of English who have a serious desire to improve their language skills. This challenging program is useful to working professionals and to students preparing for university study or professional programs. Students from more than 115 countries have attended the program. The course of study is based on an integrated-skills approach with listening, speaking, reading, writing and grammar components. Fluency and accuracy in both spoken and written English are emphasized.
In one year, students should be able to progress through the six-level core program. Classes average 12 students and allow participants a maximum amount of individual attention and an opportunity to develop conversational skills. Classes at any specific level will depend on sufficient enrollment.
- Six sessions of daytime classes are offered yearly; each session is seven weeks long with 20 hours of class per week
- Classes meet Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. or 1-5 p.m. on the Rice campus
- Students must be open to accepting a morning or afternoon schedule as assigned by the director.
Students new to the program must take the placement test. See the calendar for scheduled test dates.
Intensive English Program instructors are experienced teachers with advanced degrees who employ the most recent advances in second language methodology. They frequently incorporate current, culturally relevant articles and multimedia materials to supplement regular assignments.
Intensive English Program Calendar
August 24-October 24, 2017
- Application and re-enrollment deadline: July 28 - We are still accepting applications
- Placement test: August 24
- Orientation: August 25
- Classes: September 6-October 24
- Labor Day holiday: September 4
- Staff development day (no classes): October 6
October 20-December 19, 2017
- Application and re-enrollment deadline: September 29
- Placement test: October 20
- Orientation: October 23
- Classes: October 30-December 19
- Cultural Activity: November 9
- Thanksgiving holidays: November 22-24