Intensive English Program
The Rice University Intensive English Program is open to non-native speakers of English who have a serious desire to improve their language skills. This challenging program is useful to working professionals and to students preparing for university study or professional programs. Students from more than 100 countries have attended the program. The course of study is based on an integrated-skills approach with listening, speaking, reading, writing and grammar components. Fluency and accuracy in both spoken and written English are emphasized.
In one year, students should be able to progress through the six-level core program. Classes average 12 students and allow participants a maximum amount of individual attention and an opportunity to develop conversational skills. Classes at any specific level will depend on sufficient enrollment. Students must be open to accepting a morning or afternoon schedule as assigned by the director.
- Six sessions of daytime classes are offered yearly; each session is seven weeks long with 20 hours of class per week
- Classes meet Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. or 1-5 p.m. on the Rice campus
Students new to the program must take the placement test. See the calendar for scheduled test dates.
Intensive English Program instructors are experienced teachers with advanced degrees who employ the most recent advances in second language methodology. They frequently incorporate current, culturally relevant articles and multimedia materials to supplement regular assignments.
Intensive English Program Calendar
August 24-October 20, 2016
- Classes: September 1-October 20
- Labor Day holiday: September 5
- Staff development day (no classes): October 7
October 21-December 20, 2016
- Application and re-enrollment deadline: September 30
- Placement test: October 21
- Orientation: October 24
- Classes: October 31-December 20
- Cultural activities: November 10
- Thanksgiving holidays: November 23-25