Study Hard, But Don’t Forget To Have Fun!
The Rice University Intensive English Program realizes you need a healthy balance between studying and having fun. We have suggestions of fun things to do in Houston if you have a couple of hours or a whole afternoon. On the weekend or during your break between sessions, you may want to take a day trip to the exciting attractions that are within a short drive from Houston.
Fun things to do in Houston:
- Hermann Park (just a few blocks from Rice University)
- Houston Arboretum and Nature Center (over five miles of nature trails)
- The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston (free on Thursdays, 10 a.m.- 9 p.m.)
- Cullen Sculpture Garden (free)
- Contemporary Arts Museum Houston (free)
- The Menil Collection (free)
- The Health Museum
- Holocaust Museum Houston (free)
- Children’s Museum of Houston
- Bayou Bend Collection
- The Printing Museum
- Houston Museum of Natural Science (free on Thursdays, 2-5 p.m.)
Day trips within a short drive from Houston:
- The Texas Hill Country: Colorful wildflowers including the Texas state flower, the Bluebonnet (spring)
- Bluebell Ice Cream Factory in Brenham
- Space Center Houston (30 miles south of Houston): Visitor center for world famous NASA (National Aeronautic and Space Administration) State-of-the-art educational and entertainment complex.
- Galveston (55 miles south of Houston): 32 miles of public beaches encircling Galveston Island.
- Armand Bayou Nature Center: Largest urban wildlife and wilderness preserve in the US, 25,000 acres of wetlands, 360 species of animals and birds.
- San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site (21 miles east of Houston): 900-acre park commemorating the war between Texas and Mexico (1836).
- Brazos Bend State Park (45-minute drive south of Houston): George Observatory (one of the largest telescopes in the nation open to the public on a regular basis), wild alligators, six lakes, hiking and biking trails, picnic areas and fishing.
- Huntsville State Park (90 miles north of Houston): Sam Houston statue, 210-acre lake, boating, hiking trails, horseback riding and campgrounds.